Time to get back to you! 
Yes we made it to Fatu Hiva on july 23rd, 2018 after 18 days of crossing without problems. We made an average of 180 miles per 24 hours. The conditions were almost perfect except a very mashed swell sometimes uncomfortable even on a catamaran. We had to avoid fishermen and lanchas fishing 400 miles away from ecuador with no AIS signals, and barely a flashlight!, and chinese fleets with no AIS but could be seen 40 miles away at night shining like a Christmas tree, we also saw AIS not linked to boats but probably research buoys,  7 of them and being 7 miles separated one from an other. We saw dolphins jumpings from side to side but too busy to spend some time with  us. 
Fishing this time was good and kept us busy and freezer full for a while.  A Marlin, 35 pounds and 1.70 m long got caught. A long process to bring it back to the boat while being under sails followed by a bloody work on the cockpit table!. Tunas, mahi mahi, were also part of our catches. We also lost quite a lot of lures, and many hooks were broken by big fishes… but it is part of the deal I guess!
Arriving to Fatu Hiva was AMAZING, FASCINATING, WONDERFUL, A DREAM! No word is strong enough to describe what we felt. Not only because it was the first land we could see after seeing swell, swell and swell again!
While getting closer and after being at sea for 18 days a huge island appears to us, huge and high, bigger than what we expected. This green island is impressive and from the ocean you see nothing except green slopes plunging into the Ocean. 
Heading to Hanavave, our first anchorage in the Marquesias, is unforgettable, speechless we are, stuck to our seat, having a hard time to realize we are here. First of all, it is so green, second the huge volcanic rocks point to the sky and behind them you can see some green valleys and mountains, part of the volcanic caldera. Wild goats can be seen every where on the cliffs wandering for food, licking the rocks for salt.
Fatu Hiva is the southernmost island of the Marquesias archipelago, with more or less 650 inhabitants in two villages, Hanavave and Omoa. There is now only one  sometimes road sometimes dirt road to link the two villages, 17 km long otherwise you can go from Hanavave to Omoa by sea, which takes 10 minutes. Fatu Hiva is 1125 meters high. The Island has no airport, only a shuttle coming from Hiva Oa twice a week transports people for 80 dollars! And the Aranui a mixed cruise cargo ship leaving from Papeete stops by every two weeks after hoping through Tuamotu island and other Marquesias Islands. There is a town hall, a post office, a school for the children. When they get older they move out to Hiva Oa, then later to Nuku Hiva or Papeete and after that they have two options, France or Australia.
We were welcomed with huge sweet grapefruits, with one of them you get one liter of juice!! No need to add sugar… super sweet! Bananas, red bananas to cook like the plantanos, green limes and lemons, oranges, uru (the fruit of the bread fruit), mangoes, guava… every where you look you have food to eat when not given to you are welcome to pick them up.
People are very friendly, talkative, curious to know where you come from, happy to share their culture the rich Marquesan culture. Jean luc made friends with a young guy who was spearfishing and helped him to repair is speargun. In exchange he was given fruits, and the next day the guy stopped by the boat to give us a fish he just caught. A couple days later while walking into the village his father stopped us and gave us some fresh and ready to eat bananas… a delight, wishing us good luck and making prayers for our boat and future trip. 
Hanavave has no change no bank, and entering French Polynesia means that you need to get some local currency… CFP French Pacific Francs. The only way to get some it is to walk 5 hours the 17 km to Omoa! Quite a walk indeed! You start at sea level and climb up to 638 meters altitude and then go down to the Omoa valley and back to sea level. Exhausting! Somehow the view is absolutely gorgeous, you feel very small in front of such a panoramic view of the two calderas as Fatu Hiva was created with two volcanic eruptions. To come back we took a boat ride as we were able to get the proper currency at the store. 
10 minutes later and after a great boat ride on an unexpected flat sea along the cliffs watching at the crazy wild goats, we were back to our anchorage enjoying Hanavave Bay under sunset fire colors.
At the anchorage katabatic winds coming down from the mountains right into the bay, sometimes blow at 35 knots, making the anchorage rather difficult with a rocky bottom closer to the beach, and sandy bottom when deeper. Of course you are not the only one to be on the anchorage and sometimes it is tricky … as boats are getting pretty close one to the other. We first anchored by the beach and the anchorage revealed to be of poor holding while the katabatic wind was blowing and we had to re anchored, and the task was not that easy, so we put two anchors, not easy either! Ahahah! 
As Fatu Hiva is not a port of call, boaters are officially not allowed to stay there more than 5 days before moving to Hiva Oa, the official port of call. Nevertheless you are welcomed to go and meet someone at Fatu Hiva, a sort of Security guy, not a Gendarme, to let him know you just arrived.
We were invited to diner, at our expenses… part of the deal eh!, to eat raw Tahitian fish with coco milk, cooked fish, barbecue fish, barbecue chicken, Uru fries, Poe, rice of course, and a dessert served on a fresh leave with a coco germ very tender, a fruit tasting like a leechees same family but green, and some fresh shredded coco.  Very convivial moment with Reva the hostess and other boaters newly arrived. There you learn every boaters story, coming from Gambiers, Peru or Galapagos. This day there was a Russian family, a German guy Franck, and Victor and us French. The whole discussion happened to be in English and translating into French as Reva spoke only Marquesan and french.
The next day we were all invited to a Wedding! Dances and music and again a lot of food. This time we were served Goat and porc cooked for ceremonies the ancient way in a Marquesan oven, tahitian raw fish again, and rice. Local guys danced the Marquesan Aka under the drums rhythm, while a group of local women danced the wedding tamure dance. 
To eliminate the calories of the excellent wedding food, we did walk to the waterfall, another walk in the mountains and the the rainforest of Fatu Hiva. As it is not the rainy season the waterfall is not too impressive but drips along a high cliff with a pond you can swim in. Though we got there a little late in the afternoon and had just enough time to get back before dark. We picked up a few fruits to bring back to the boat and prepared the Uru fries, and chips… delicious!! Even better than potatoes!
That’s it for Fatu Hiva, time to leave this memorable island for now as we will be back. But time to do our official entry into French Polynesia.  
Of course, we have to apology for the long silence. Told you it left us speechless, ahaha! also due to the poor internet we have. We attempted to connect to wifi spot but it has nothing to do with the internet you guys have in US or elsewhere in big cities! Here it is rather slow! And when I mean slow, you have no idea how slow it is, sometimes you manage to get a connexion which shuts down after a couple of minutes… so be patient for pictures … it will come sooooooon!
So long guys! Nana! As we say here!
Thanks for following us!
Un oeu de nouvelles!
Oui! Nous sommes arrives a Fatu Hiva le 23 juillet 2018 apres 18 jours de traversee sans probleme et une moyenne de 180 miles par 24 heures. Les conditions de navigations etaient presque parfaites hormis une houle tres courtes et hachee parfois unconfortable meme a bord d’un catamaran! Nous avons evite pecheurs et lanchas pechant a plus de 400 miles des cotes Equatoriennes sans signal AIS et a peine une lampe torche, et les flottes chinoises egalement sans AIS mais avec des halo de lumieres visibles a plus de 40 miles, de vrais sapins de noel! Nous avons egalement vu des AIS lies a aucun bateaux sans doute des bouees de recherches, 7 d’entres elles separees l’une de l’autre de 7 miles. Nous avons egalement vu des dauphins, sautant de parts et d’autres mais trop occupes pour trainer avec nous.
La peche cette fois etait bonne, nous a occupe et rempli le congelo pour un moment. Un marlin de 35 livres et de 1,70m a bien voulu se laisser prendre, suivi d’une longue attente avant de pouvoir le remonter a bord, avant de finir sur la table du cockpit pour un sanglant decoupage! Thons et Mahi-Mahi ont egalement pris place dans le congelateur pour notre plus grand plaisir. Nous avons egalement perdu pas mal de leures, et quelques hooks ont ete casses par de gros poissons… ca fait sans doute partie du jeu!
L’arrivee a Fatu Hiva est grandiose, fascinante, merveilleuse, un vrai reve! Aucun mot n’est assez fort pour decrire ce que nous avons ressenti. Pas seulement parceque c’est la premiere terre que nous touchions apres avoir eu de la houle, de la houle et encore de la houle!
En s’approchant et apres 18 jours de mer, cette ile apparait devant nous, haute et grande, plus grande que ce que a quoi nous nous attendions. Une ile tres verte, impressionnante ou les falaises plongent dans l’ocean.
En allant vers Hanavave, notre premier mouillage marquisien inoubliable, nous sommes sans voix, cloues sur place, ayant du mal a realiser que nous y sommes, que nous sommes aux marquises. Tout d’abord c’est un ile de verdure, ensuite les rocks volcanic pointent vers le ciel et derriere eux apparaissent de vertes vallees et montagnes qui sont une partie de la caldera. Les chevres sauvages sont partout, broutent ca et la sur les falaises et lechent les cailloux sales.
Fatu Hiva est l’ile des marquises la plus au Sud, culmine a 1125 metres, n’a que 650 habitants et seulement deux villages, Hanavave et Omoa. Il existe une route de 17 km, parfois betonnee, la plupart du temps en terre pour rejoindre les deux villages, ou bien on peut se rendre d’un village a l’autre par la mer ce qui ne prend pas plus de 10 minutes. L’ile ne possede pas d’Aeroport, seule une navette dessert Hiva Oa deux fois par semaine pour 80 dollars! Le cargo mixte Aranui qui vient de Papeete effectue une rotation deux fois par mois en passant par les Tuamotus et en desservant les autres iles des Marquises. Il y a une mairie, une poste une ecole primaire et pour le secondaire les enfants vont a Hiva Oa, Nuku Hiva ou Papeete, plus tard ils auront le choix entre France et Australie.
A notre arrive on nous offre des bananes, des bananes rouges a cuire, d’enormes Pamplemousses d’ou l’on a reussi a extraire un litre de jus par fruit! Inutile d’ajouter du sucre, ils sont tres sucres!, des citrons verts et jaunes, des oranges, des Uru (fruit de l’arbre a pain), des mangues, goyaves… Partout ou l’on regarde il y a des fruits  a manger que vous pouvez ramasser lorsqu’ils ne sont pas carement donnes.
Les habitants sont tres gentils, a la fois bavards et curieux de savoir d’ou nous venons, contents de partager leur riche culture marquisienne. Jean luc discute de peche et de chasse sous marine avec Tany, l’aide a reparer son fusil harpon. En echange Tany lui donnera des fruits et le jour suivant il nous apporte un poisson qu’il vient de pecher au large. Quelques jours plus tard alors que nous revenons d’une balade a terre son pere nous arrete et nous donne des bananes mures a point et nous dit qu’il priera pour notre bateau et nos futures voyages.
A Hanavave il n’y a ni change ni banque et nous n’avons pas de francs pacifique, la monnaie en vigueur en Polynesie Francaise ainsi que Nouvelle Caledonie. Le seul moyen pour changer est de rejoindre Omoa, a 17km de la. Une sacre marche de 5 heures! Et n ous sommes loin de la plate floride!. On demarre au niveau de la mer et on monte a 638 metres pour redescendre sur la vallee d’Omoa et retour au niveau de la mer! La vue est absolument imprenable et grandiose, on se sent tout petit devant la vue panoramique des deux calderas, suite au deux eruptions qui formerent Fatu Hiva. Pour revenir, munis de nos francs pacifiques changes a l’epicerie, nous acceptons les services d’un jeune garcon qui nous ramene en barque a moteur ce qui nous prend….10 minutes en longeant la cote et les falaises , domaine des chevres sauvages et au moment du coucher de soleil sur la baie d’Hanavave couvertes de couleurs de feu.
Au mouillage les vents katabatic descendent des montagnes et s’engouffrent dans la baie, parfois soufflant a 35 noeuds rendant le mouillage plutot delicat surtout sur les cailloux pres de la plage et ensuite du sable la ou c’est plus profound. Bien entendu nous ne sommes pas les seuls sur le mouillage et plus il y a de bateaux, plus les bateaux se retrouvent proches les uns des autres. Nous avons d’abord mouille pres de la plage et le mouillage s’est revele mauvais pendant les rafales de vents et nous avons du remouille avec deux ancres cette fois, tache delicate!
Fatu Hiva n’etant pas un port d’entrée, les voiliers ne sont autorises a rester la que quelques jour savant d’aller sur Hiva Oa, le port d’entrée official. Cependant nous devons aller faire savoir que nous sommes arrives aupres d’un representant local qui n’est pas un gendarme.
Nous sommes invites a diner a nos frais, par le dit representant local. Sa femme a prepare du Poisson tahitien, du poisson cuit, du Poulet au barbecue, des frites de Uru, du riz bien entendu, du poe, et un dessert servi sur une feuille contenant du coco germe super tendre et sucre, un fruit vert de la famille du leechee, et de la coco rape. Moment tres convivial en compagnie de Reva notre hotesse et d’autres voileux nouvellement arrives. Chacun raconte son histoire et d’ou il arrive, soit des Gambiers, Galapagos, Perou. Nous y rencontrons une famille russe, un allemand Franck, et Victor et nous Francais. La discussion se fait en anglais et nous traduisons en francais pour reva qui ne parle que Marquisien et Francais.
Le lendemain nous sommes invites a un mariage. Dances, music et beaucoup de nourriture au programme. Cette fois nous goutons de la chevre sauvage et du porc cuits pour les ceremonies dans le four Marquisien, du poisson cru tahitien, du riz. Les garcons de Hanavave executent un Aka Marquisien au rhythm des tambours, un groupe de femme danse un tamure de mariage.  Tout le monde est pare de colliers ou couronnes de fleurs qui embaument. C’est la fete, la musique raisonne, tout le monde chante et danse.
Apres les noces la vie reprend son cours et pour eliminer les calories nous decidons de monter a la cascade. Une autre marche dans les montagnes luxuriantse  de Fatu Hiva. Ce n’est pas la saison des pluies et la cascade qui descend de la montagne  est loin d’etre enorme mais il y a tout de meme une bonne piscine naturelle pour s’y baigner. Comme il est deja tard nous repartons sans nous y plonger pour rentrer avant la nuit au bateau et nous ramassons un Uru que nous preparons en frites et en chips. Excellent! Meilleur que les pommes de terre!
Voila c’etait Fatu Hiva, il est temps pour nous de quitter cette ile ou nous reviendrons. Nous devons faire notre entrée officielle a Hiva Oa.
Bien sur nous nous excusons pour notre long silence, on vous avait dit que les marquises nous laissaient sans voix! Ahahah! Mais l’internet, c’est pas ca! Rien a avoir avec les wifi de metropole ou des States!, ici c’est super lent, et lorsque l’on trouve une connexion, ca coupe apres quelques minutes. Alors soyez patients! Les photos viendront … bientot!!!
A bientot!, Au revoir!  Nana, comme on dit ici!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *